Suspect Arrested After Fatal Stabbing On MAX Train In Portland

Portland was struck by a tragic incident on Friday evening when a man was fatally stabbed on an eastbound MAX train near the Northeast 82nd Avenue Transit Station. The Portland Police Bureau (PPB) responded to a report of a stabbing at the 82nd Avenue Transit Station around 6 p.m., where they discovered the lifeless body of the victim on the platform.

The identity of the deceased individual has not yet been released to the public. However, authorities swiftly made an arrest in connection with the crime. Shondel L. Larkin, a 51-year-old man, was apprehended and subsequently booked into the Multnomah County Detention Center. Larkin is now facing multiple charges, including second-degree murder and unlawful use of a weapon, according to the PPB.

A TriMet statement reads: 

“We at TriMet are deeply saddened by the horrific attack that occurred on our MAX train Friday night. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the loved ones of the person killed, as well as all who have been affected by this senseless act of violence. Our agency is working closely with the Portland Police Bureau and the Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office, providing any assistance possible with their investigation, including video from our security camera network. We will continue that collaboration to ensure the individual arrested is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

 TriMet, our safety and security personnel and our law enforcement partners work every day to provide safety on our transit system and in the region. While there is no immediate threat as the individual in this attack was quickly arrested by Portland Police, we have increased security presence on our system in the area.”

Following the incident, the 82nd Avenue Transit Station was closed for several hours to allow investigators to gather evidence and conduct a thorough investigation. Detectives believe that the stabbing occurred on the eastbound MAX train, and they are urging anyone with information to come forward, especially those who may have witnessed the incident but left without speaking to officers.